The Northern Lights, it’s a wonder of the world that is on most people’s bucket lists. And while they can be seen in different parts of the world, there is no place more magical than seeing them from the top of the world on and incredible snow and ice excursion!
I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of taking just such an adventure. Before even setting foot in the Arctic circle, the flight over the snowy glaciers is beyond words. However, once landing, you’ll swear you’re on another planet. Svalbard, part of Norway, is its own little isolated island, just a few hundred miles south of the actual North Pole.
My adventure began and was based in Longyearbyen, Svalbard’s most densely populated town (really only 1 of 3 on the island!) with about 2500 residents and home to the Global Seed Vault (which I was lucky enough to visit as it is not open to the public). The town itself is so interesting but the real adventure lies in day and overnight trips into the wilderness!
A land of ice and snow with half of its year covered in darkness and the other bathed in light, I was lucky to visit during the transitional period where I got to see both! And wow, dawn and dusk in Svalbard is absolutely gorgeous!
From dog sledding and snowmobile adventures into the great white wilderness in search of polar bears, reindeer, seals and other arctic wildlife to learning about Svalbard’s history, innovation and it’s booming new culinary and adventure tourism scene, it’s hands down like no place else on earth! It’s pure, untouched magic!
- Carolyn Scott-Hamilton
- : Creator and host of The Healthy Voyager web series, site, and overall brand. An award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, holistic nutritionist, plant based vegan chef, best-selling cookbook author, media spokesperson, sought after speaker, consultant and television personality
- : https://healthyvoyager.com
- : https://www.facebook.com/HealthyVoyager/
- : https://www.twitter.com/HealthyVoyager/
- : https://www.instagram.com/HealthyVoyager/
- : It's a one stop shop for international healthy, adventure, sustainable, cultural and culinary travel!
- : adult_(19_and_over_as_of_31st_december_2019)
- : This is the first time this story has been published.